Dalin Oliver is a Cape Town based Comedian who co-hosts Happy Hour, a weekly comedy show on Good Hope FM on Mondays from 11am-12pm , with fellow Comedian Carl Weber. He is also the Sports Presenter on the Radio Stations Breakfast show, weekdays 06:00 – 09:00am, which is hosted by Nigel Pierce.
His passion for the performance arts was trigged in 2010 when he won the UCT leg of Good Hope FM’s Campus DJ Search. A few months later the comedy bug bit and the qualified high school Mathematics and History teacher ditched the chalk board for a microphone and the stage.
The 28 year old has managed to capture audiences with his clean cut energetic brand of comedy. Career highlights between 2011 and 2013 include sharing the stage and touring with industry stalwarts such as Riaad Moosa, Barry Hilton and Stuart Taylor as their Opening Act as well as performing at the Vodacom Funny Festival and Community Road Show.
His One Man Show I Came, I Taught, I Left has been a huge success since its debut and return runs at the National Arts Festival in Grahamastown in 2014 and 2015 where he performed to full houses and received rave reviews. So much so that its final run in 2016 was in the top 30 grossing productions at the Fringe Festival.
The response from his hometown was overwhelming. The show Sold Out within 24 hours of its first 6 night run at the Baxter Theatre in 2015. To top it off, it returned to the prestigious Theatre for a back by popular demand 14 show run in 2016 and Sold Out again. On both occasions additional shows had to be added due to public demand. The show experienced the same success in the Friendly City of Port Elizabeth where it Sold Out 3 nights at the PE Opera House which led to yet another additional show being added.
His skill set is broadening daily and was put to the test when he played one of the lead roles in his first feature film, Finders Keepers, which is a South African Comedy that’s Directed by Maynaard Kraak. The movie is set to release in cinemas nationwide in 2017. To compliment his big screen debut, he is set to be one of the featured acts at this years Jive Cape Town Funny Festival at the Baxter Theatre.
From performing to sold out houses at his one man show, to being featured on Comedy Central and recording his first DVD special, Dalin is fast becoming a familiar face on the familiar faces on the South African Comedy scene.
- Runner-up of Cape Town’s Next Comic, 2011.
- Intimate Comedy Sessions at On Broadway alongside Stuart Taylor for four nights, 2011.
- 2 performances at Vodacom Funny Festival at the Baxter Theatre, 2011
- Featured act on Vodacom Funny Festival Community Road Show Line-up, 2011.
- Good Hope FM Laugh Master finalist, 2012
- Nandos Comedy Showdown finalist, 2012
- Opening Act for Barry Hilton on the Cape Town leg of his “Best of Everything Ever” tour at the Baxter Theatre, 2013
- Rocking the Daisies, 2013.
- Synergy, 2013.
- Opening Act for Riaad Moosa on his “Doctors Orders” tour in Cape Town, Ladysmith, Newcastle, Pietermaritzburg, Port Elizabeth and East London, 2013
- Opening Act for Stuart Taylor in East London on his Learner Husband Book Tour Launch, 2013.
- National Arts Festival in Grahamstown as part of a comedy collective under the banner of Kurt Schoonraads Jou Ma Se Comedy Club (Now known as Cape Town Comedy Club), 2013
- Riaad Moosa’s “Keeping you in Stitches 2” at the Cape Town International Convention Centre alongside South African favourites Nik Rabinowitz and Stuart Taylor Centre, 2013.
- Debut one man stand up Comedy Show, I Came, I Taught, I Left, Grahamstown, 2014 (8shows)
- Debut on Comedy Central Africa alongside Nik Rabinowitz, Kurt Schoonraad and Khanyiso Kenqa, 2015.
- One man stand up Comedy Show, I Came, I Taught, I Left, Grahamstown, 2015 (10 shows)
- Finished up filming first movie as one of the leads, 2015. It’s a South African Comedy called ‘Finders Keepers’ which is Directed by Maynaard Kraak. It’s due to release in cinemas nationwide in 2016.
- Sold Out run week long run of one man show, I Came, I Taught, I Left, at the Baxter Theatre, Cape Town, 2015 (7 shows)
- Featured act on line-up of inaugural Whale of a Comedy Revolution in Hermanus which was hosted by Barry Hilton, 2015.
- Good Hope FM Party Cruise, 2016, stand-up comedy show.
- J&B Met Public Village Host, 2016.
- Sold Out Run of Back by Popular demand run of I Came, I Taught, I Left at Baxter Theatre: 22 February-5March 2015 (14 shows)
- DVD Live Recording of “I Came, I Taught, I Left” which is set to release in May.
- MC and Ambassador at inaugural Cape Town Sixes Cricket and Culture Festival, 2016.
- Cape Argus Sports Shows Extreme Speaker Box, 2016.
- I Came, I Taught, I Left, Paarl. One Night only. Ou Meul Teater. 1 April 2016.
- Sold out run of I Came, I Taught, I Left, Port Elizabeth. 14-16 April 2016. PE Opera House Barn Theatre (4 shows)
- I Came, I Taught, I Left, National Arts Festival, 30 June – 9 July 2016. Made it into the top 30 grossing Fringe Productions.
- Sports Anchor and Lead Character (Coach) in BrightRock’s online web series.
- Jive Cape Town Funny Festival, 24July -6 August 2017. Baxter Theatre.
- Face For Radio (new one man show), National Arts Festival, 29June-9July 2017.
- Move Release of Finders Keepers in Cinemas nationwide. 18 August 2017
- Face For Radio, Baxter Theatre, 21 August – 9 September 2017.
- Face For Radio tour dates for Port Elizabeth, East London, Queens Town, Paarl, Johannesburg and Durban TBC
- Stand-up Comedy performance at Western Province Cricket Association KFC Mini Provincial Cricket Seminar, CPT, 2014.
- MC WeChat Newlands Challenge, Cobras vs Stormers, CPT, 2015.
- Stand-up comedy set at Proteas New Balance Kit Launch, JHB, 2016.
- MC and Ambassador at Cape Town Cricket Sixes & Culture Festival, CPT, 2016.
- MC Western Province Cricket Association and Cape Cobras Annual Awards Dinner, CPT, 2016.
- Stand-up Comedy set at Ajax Cape Town’s PSL Sides Awards Dinner, CPT, 2016.
- MC Proteas High Performance Workshop and Signing Session, JHB, 2016
- MC, Western Province Cricket Assocation KFC Mini Cricket Provincial Seminar, CPT, 2016.
- MC and Quiz Master at Steinhoff Internationals Blitzboks (SA Rugby Sevens Side) Quiz Night and Dinner.
- MC & Ambassador, Cape Town Cricket Sixes & Culture Festival, CPT, 2017.